10 Steps Toward Your Goals
Personal development plans may look good on paper, but they sure are difficult to follow in real life! Use the following tips to help you get through your personal development agenda.
1. Start right now. Putting off your plan by even a day is allowing yourself to make excuses, and that is not getting yourself off to a good start! Make up your mind about what you want and start working toward it today.
2. Set reasonable and realistic goals. Nobody can climb a mountain without putting one foot in front of the other an taking small steps forward, and that’s how you’ve got to look at your personal development plan. Break down the plan into bite-size pieces and formulate your plan of attack from that angle.
3. Start with some short-term goals. Keeping your eye on the big picture, use the here and now as your actual work space. Set goals that can be accomplished by sundown, and set more for tomorrow. Having a weekly agenda for succeeding in the smaller tasks will keep you working toward the biggest goals in your personal development plan.
4. Study personal development. Become an avid reader on topics about personal development. Finding reliable sources of information can help you achieve success faster because you can learn from the mistakes of others. Use books as your guide to get you over any obstacles you encounter along the way. I also like to read personal development blogs. This is one of my favorites.
5. Tell others about your plan. Informing your friends and family will provide you with a big boost for two reasons. First, it will cement your plan in your own mind, and second, they will provide you with a lot of encouragement and motivation. Nobody knows you better either, so take the advice they offer and make it work for you!
6. See yourself there already. Visualize to help yourself achieve. The human mind is a very powerful tool and often you can achieve something just by convincing yourself that you can! This method has been used by experts around the world for centuries and it can lead to your success as well.
7. Don’t beat yourself up. Most people are indeed their own worst enemy, and that will derail your plan for personal development or even scrap it altogether. Yes, you should admit mistakes and work to rectify them, but no, you should not put yourself down or become discouraged by them! You have to be your own life coach, which means keeping yourself in the game.
8. Enjoy the challenges. When it gets tough, let yourself enjoy the feelings of apprehension and anticipation, rather than being overcome with anxiety or self-doubt. The most successful people in the world are (nearly) always up for a good challenge, so be ready and look forward to the fight.
9. Incorporate things you love into your plan. Your personal development plan cannot be all work and no play, despite the fact that it will probably be tough. Bring things into it that are rewarding and even relaxing, and this will work to keep you in the game longer. Doing what you love is one of the most important things in life, so make your sure your plan includes keeping you satisfied and gratified along the way.
10. Never give up! No matter what kind of set-backs you may face, do not ever consider giving up on your dreams. They are essentially what makes life worthwhile. Personal development is designed to get you where you want to be, and nothing is worth sacrificing that.
Once you get there, you can look back with pride and even astonishment at what you accomplished. However, that can’t happen until you begin your personal development plan, so get moving on it!